Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

My father-in-law was a WWII veteran. He never spoke about his days in the military to anyone. My hubby and sis-in-law knew relatively nothing about what he did. Then my son came along. Andrew loves military movies, especially WWII and the Civil war. So granddaddy and Andrew spent every single Saturday talking about WWII. He was in the Air Force division of the Army, stationed out of Tampa Bay. He went to Normandy, Germany, England and Brussels. He was almost killed by a German who walked three feet away from his foxhole but he remained silent and the guy just walked on. Granddaddy gave Andrew his dog tags, which he wore every day. Granddaddy died on May 14, 2003. It was a very sad day for all of us, but Andrew took it the hardest and still hasn't fully recovered.

My grandfather was in WWII, but in the Pacific. I don't know much about his journeys because I didn't know him. Mom was adopted and he died shortly after I discovered that he was my grandfather.

So here's to you, Cephas Leon Ray and Andrew Jackson Duesberry! Thanks for your contribution to my freedom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My granddad was at the bombing of Pearl Harbor. He has told my children what he can about it (they're young so not everything is appropriate) and has written it down so we can remember.

Terri said...

That's awesome! It's so sad that the Vets are taking their memories alone with them to their graves.