Friday, May 30, 2008

Berry High School Class of 82

My bloggy BFF, Leigh, posted this evening that she has her 20 year class reunion this summer. Since I have 5 years of wisdom regarding this, I'll share my insight as a Berry Buc, reunion hater, and overall high school nerd.

I hated high school. I still bear many scars from those years. I was made fun of because I talked funny (obnoxious northern accent, which is why I don't talk much to this day), was an outsider (moved here summer before the 10th grade) and never knew how to dress (I went to a private school and had to wear dresses only). I was forced to go to my 5th reunion due to my friend Cindy and my dad consipiring against me. it was the best thing I ever did. After a lot of liquor and being abandoned by my buds, Cindy and Peri I was left at a party with only guys. All drunk, they told me what they really thought about me in high school. They thought I was so cool since I came from Miami, was a model because I dressed funky and was tall, and was a snob because I was so quiet. One guy said he was too afraid to ask me out! That moment changed my life! Prior to that moment, I felt strange because they all talked about the 'big' jobs they had, which top company they worked for, how important they were, etc. I just ignored. I hated business people.

I missed my 10 because my sis got married that afternoon and my mom threatened to kill me if I wasn't the last to leave the reception. Life is all about the photo op in that household.

When I was notified about the 20, I was all excited. I even joined the Reunion Committee! I was in charge of finding the lost people. I had so much fun and wanted everyone to come and not lose one person. Joe and Mark said they had everyones addresses. Little did I know they were using the addresses from the 10 yr reunion list! I worked 24/7 for months. I had my work cut out for me! I found everyone except 27 (out of 374). It was going to be so much fun! Sadly, my friend Sarah had died. Her sister said she suffered from depression and had taken her own life. Last time I had seen her was at the 5th. Same for Jim. He died of AIDS just after the 10th. I regret not seeing him. We made a powerpoint montage of high school photos and emphasized them.

With the reunion approaching,I realized I was a size 14 (a size 4 at the last reunion) and was mortified! I knew they would all mock me. I was mortified and didn't want to go, but had to since I had spoken to everyone in my class begging them to come! I crammed myself into a snug sun dress and showed up, with lots of money for drinks. I have never ever had so much FUN! All the bigtime movers and shakers lamented how they hated their jobs and working for 'the man' and were actually envious of ME for being self employed and working for myself. No one remembered any of the crap from highschool, only the fun happy times. Friends who had not spoken for whatever reason forgot why they had drifted apart and became friends again. It was just so much fun! Everyone was 18 again, without all the baggage. Unfortunately our minds may have been 18, but our bodies were 38 and didn't party like they used to. I got so many emails the next week telling me what a blast they had and that they were glad they came. No one noticed weight. Even one person, who was an ASS in high school was so nice to me and chatted me up most of the night. My high school crush and I had a lovely time chatting. I reconnected with girls from church, and we all delighted in our lives we have now and made fun of the high school days.

So Leigh, you MUST go! You will have a blast! All your friends have turned grown into lovely people, as have you, and you have to get to see the mature side of them!

Terri
BHS Class of 82!

1 comment:

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Oh, my gosh, Terri!!!!! You so inspire me. I really have to go after that story.
If it sucks I will hold you accountable. LOL!